We live in the age of technology. Technology has an impact on all of our lives. Every single day we use technology to communicate, to travel, to learn, to save lives. While it affords us many opportunities, it also has its down side.
- As of 2017, 70% of Irish internet users, use the internet every single day, when you look at 16-29 year olds, that number rises to 92%
- The more time you spend looking at screens before sleep, the less sleep you get and the poorer its quality (PLOS One, 2016)
- Social media use among 19 to 24 year olds, is linked with increased rates of anxiety and depression (UK Royal Society for Public Health, 2017)
- Children are left feeling “unimportant” and that they have to compete with technology when parents use their mobile phones at family times (AVG, 2015)
At Aware we are educating and empowering people with the skills to cope with the ups and downs which we all meet on our journey through life. Given the impact technology is having on our lives, it can be helpful to take a break every now and again. With that in mind, we're challenging you to Switch Off for Aware. To help your own mental health and Aware at the same time.
How to take part?
Challenge yourself, a friend or loved one to Switch Off for Aware. In fact if you do it together, you can be each other’s Switch Off Supporter
- Decide how many hours you think you can switch off your personal devices for and donate that number to Aware, perhaps a whole day or every evening for 1 week, it’s up to you!
- Put your phone, tablet and/or laptop away for that length of time. That means no Instagram, no emails, no Whatsapp, no Google!
- Use the time you’ve gained to go for a walk, meet a friend, practice meditation, read a book, spend time with loved ones
If you’re known for your screen time, you could ask your friends and family to support your challenge by donating too.
We hope this experience will help you reflect and reconnect with your own mental health and perhaps even change your relationship with technology.
What do you need?
- You can donate online or if you're asking others to support you, you can create an online fundraising page (with EverydayHero or Just Giving)
- If you plan to fundraise as part of this campaign, please fill in our expression of interest to fundraise form. We’re here to support you in any way that is helpful
- You will also need to download & read the ICTR Statement of Guiding Principles for Fundraising if you plan to fundraise on behalf of Aware