Beat the Blues is a free programme brought to secondary schools throughout Ireland by Aware. Request the programme for your school today (to be delivered in academic period September 2017 – May 2018) by filling in our online booking form.
Aware’s positive mental health programme for senior-cycle students in secondary schools throughout Ireland.
Since 1995, Aware has delivered our Beat the Blues schools programme in secondary schools throughout Ireland, with 300 schools (30,000 students) benefitting from the programme each year. The content of the programme has now been revised by Aware under the guidance and direction of the organisation’s Clinical Director Dr. Claire Hayes. Dr. Hayes is a clinical psychologist, lecturer and author, with over 25 years experience in assisting people who are coping with challenging life circumstances.
Beat the Blues complies with Well-Being in Post-Primary Schools: Guidelines for Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention (2013), developed by the Dep. of Education and Skills, the HSE and the Dept. of Health.
The programme explores:
- Principles for good mental health and actions that can help.
- The importance of looking at the positive aspects of our lives.
- Why similar situations impact people in different ways.
- The role of core beliefs.
- How to prevent or recognise depression and anxiety.
- The importance of resilience and how to build it.
- The programme also introduces The Coping Triangle (Hayes 2006, 2011) a useful tool which students can use in everyday situations to help relieve stress and understand what is going on for them.
Key Points about Aware’s schools programme:
- Delivered over two class periods (80 minutes) in groups of no more than 30 students.
- At least one teacher must be present.
- Each student gets a practical workbook that incorporates key elements from the presentation along with exercises for them to reflect on in their own time, so that they can form a useful resource to hold on to and revisit at times of stress in their life.
- Delivered by professional trainers who have received extensive training from Aware.
Request the programme for your school today (to be delivered in academic period September 2017 – May 2018) by filling in our online booking form.