The Aware Life Skills Group Progamme is a free* educational programme offered to adults aged 18 and over. The programme consists of six 90 minute modules, one evening per week for six consecutive weeks. This allows participants time to reflect on the key learning points each week and time to practice the ‘new ways of thinking’. We encourage participants to attend all six modules to get the maximum benefit from the programme.
The programme allows participants to learn some of the principles of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and apply them to their own life. The programme instructors are trained to encourage healthy boundaries of privacy among participants within normal limits.
The next Life Skills Group Programme will
start week beginning 10 September 2018.
Registration will open on 20 August 2018.
The Aware Life Skills Group programme has been developed by Dr. Chris Williams. Dr. Williams is a Professor of Psychiatry and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at the University of Glasgow and is a recognised expert in the area of CBT. Life Skills Group Programme is based on the principles of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). If you would like to know more about CBT, please click here
*The Life Skills Group programme is free however a refundable** booking fee of €30 is now in place to ensure that people who really want to do the Life Skills programme actually have the opportunity to do so. If you are a student, unemployed, an OAP or hold a medical card you are eligible for a reduced refundable booking fee of €10.
**Please note the refund of the booking fee can be requested by calling Aware head office on 01 6617211 once all six modules are completed.
Is Life Skills for me?
If the statements below apply to you, then you could benefit from this programme.
- I currently experience signs of stress, anxiety or mild to moderate depression
- I would like to make some changes in my life and am prepared to try new ways of dealing with life’s challenges
- I am not currently experiencing a major life event such as a recent bereavement, major relationship problem or a significant trauma
- I intend to go to all six modules of the programme
- I understand this programme is not ‘one-to-one’ but a group programme consisting of up to 25 participants
- I feel I can concentrate and give my attention for the duration of each session i.e. about 90 minutes
Evaluation & Accreditation
The Life Skills programme has been independently evaluated by Aware. The evaluation showed a statistically significant improvement in participants’ self-reported levels of anxiety and depression after completing the programme. This means that participants of the Life Skills programme reported less levels of anxiety and depression after completing the programme, maintained for 12 months.
Life Skills is also consistent with the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines for the treatment of depression and anxiety. NICE is an organisation which provides independent, authoritative and evidence-based guidance on the most effective ways to prevent, diagnose and treat ill-health. The organisation currently provides guidance to the NHS, local authorities, charities and anyone with a responsibility for commissioning or providing healthcare, public health or social care services.
There is excellent evidence that CBT works for the treatment of anxiety and mild to moderate depression and many previous participants of our Life Skills course have found it to be hugely beneficial to them.
Read some of the great feedback from people who have already attended one of our Life Skills Programmes.
- "Thank you for giving me hope and for giving me back control of my happiness!"
- "This 6 week course helped me change my thought process and see things differently. I have learned coping mechanisms that help me manage the more difficult days in life."
- “I feel by practicing with these tools daily I will be able to get back to the old confident me that through life pressures seemed to have got lost.”
- “This course will teach you how to gain control over your thoughts before they become problem behaviours”
- “An amazing, potentially life changing course that is user friendly and welcoming. The skills are invaluable”
- "I thought it made a big difference to me but when my wife cried and said she got her husband back I was blown away, I didn’t realise she felt this way in the first place so it was amazing to know I have changed.”