Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programme
Extensive research into eight week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programmes has shown that developing mindfulness has a significant positive effect on reducing anxiety and depression and managing stress.
Our free eight week programme will begin from October 18th, for one evening per week, through 2.5 hour sessions. Delivered in conjunction with The Mindfulness Centre, The programme is suitable for those experiencing depression or low mood, anxiety or stress.
This programme is available to anyone aged 18 years and over, who resides in Ireland.
- The Mindfulness Centre will be working in conjunction with Aware to deliver the mindfulness programmes.
- After registering your interest, one of the mindfulness teachers will be in touch to invite you to attend an orientation meeting to explore if this programme will benefit you. This meeting will cover more information about the programme as well as asking about your experiences and wellbeing.
- The orientation meeting will give an overview of what the course both offers and demands of participants (e.g. daily practice). It is typically offered as an individual 30-minute session via phone or Zoom.
- Places are very limited to ensure participants get the most from the programme.
- Virtual and in-person options available.
- Please register your interest by clicking the register your interest button below.
- One of the mindfulness teachers will be in touch in the coming days to organise a mutually convenient time to hold an orientation meeting with you.
Mindfulness is the capacity we all have to direct our attention to what is happening right here, right now, with an attitude of kindness towards ourselves and our experience. This “being with” ourselves is in contrast with more habitual states of mind in which we are often preoccupied with memories, fantasies, worries or planning.
Yet, the capacity to be present is innate to each one of us and can be deliberately cultivated, alongside our capacity for kindness. Although we are often unaware of the current of our thinking, it has a profound effect on how we live our lives, as well on our mental and emotional health.
Mindfulness meditation is one highly effective way to train the mind in cultivating this capacity for present moment awareness, allowing us opportunities to pause and attend and respond more creatively to our lives.
The 8-week MBSR was developed in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, a micro-biologist working at the University’s Medical Centre. Extensive research since then has shown that MBSR is beneficial to people with psychological distress (including depression, anxiety, panic, fatigue, and sleep disturbances), medical conditions (including chronic illness and pain, high blood pressure, cancer) as well as in preventative medicine and wellness programmes.
MBSR has become part of a newly recognised field of integrative medicine within behavioural medicine and general health care. A central tenet of MBSR is that we are active participants in our own well being, no matter what the condition of our body and mind.
Registration is now closed. Please register your interest below for our next Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programme.