Join Our Volunteer Team
Aware was founded by Dr McKeon and a team of volunteers, many of whom had their own experience of depression or bipolar disorder, and who wanted to support others. We remain a Volunteer-led organisation today, continuing to rely on the passion and dedication of our 400 strong team of Volunteers to deliver our vital services. Each Volunteer generously gives of their time, and most importantly their compassion to ensure that everyone who contacts Aware receives understanding, empathy and support.
Our Volunteers are a hugely diverse group, all ages and from all walks of life. Some have their own experience of mental illness, either directly or through supporting a loved one, which has inspired them to want to support others going through similar experiences. Other reasons for choosing to volunteer with us might include an interest in mental health, desire to give back to your community, add to your skill set, meet new people or simply having some spare time on your hands.
No prior qualifications or experience is required, as we provide 20+ hours of comprehensive training, as well as ongoing support and education. We are fully committed to our Volunteers, highlighted by our consistent achievement of the Investing in Volunteers Award, the quality standard for best practice in volunteer management.
We are always looking for new Volunteers to join the team with remote and in-person opportunities available. If you’re interested in making a difference, we would love to hear from you. Please choose an option below to find out more.
- Connecting with others creates a sense of belonging
- Gaining new skills
- Improving confidence
- Brings purpose and meaning to your life
- Allows us support up to 30,000 people each year
What we'll give you
- 20+ hours of comprehensive training
- Comprehensive onboarding programme (blended learning)
- Continuous learning & skill development
- Volunteer education events (in person & online)
- Social gatherings
- Recognition awards – 18 months/3 years/7years/10 years
- Ongoing coaching and peer support
- Access to a variety of resources for mental health & wellbeing
Want to know more about volunteering with Aware?
Aware holds 1-hour information sessions to tell you a little more about it. You can hear from current Volunteers and ask any questions you might have. They take place on Zoom, sign up below.