This webinar titled Shining a light on depression in winter discusses depression in the winter months and touches on Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and the festive period. A big focus for this webinar was helpful ways and tips for looking after yourself that can also apply year-round.
Resources mentioned in this webinar:
- How to recognise depression – FESTIVAL acronym >>
- Where to start if trying to support a loved one >>
- Minding your sleep >>
- Information on eating disorders – Bodywise website >>
- Breathing exercise: Try, using your non-dominant hand (left if you are right-handed), as you breathe in, close your hand to a fist, as you breathe out open your hand. Again, as you breathe in close your hand to a fist and as you breathe out, open your hand. The third time as you breathe in, close your hand to a fist and as you breathe out open your hand and say out loud, ‘I choose to breathe slowly’. Notice how you have taken control of and slowed your breathing. You can repeat this as often as you like.
Free Courses Available:
- Life Skills Group Programme (based on the principles of CBT) >>
- Life Skills Online Programme (based on the principles of CBT) >>
- Relatives & Friends Programme >>
Coping sentence – A.B.C.
- Acknowledge (I feel under pressure)
- Because (I think I am letting someone down)
- Choose (I choose to ask for support)
- Dr Claire Hayes, Clinical Director at Aware & Consultant Clinical Psychologist
- Annette Byrne, Aware volunteer with personal experience of depression
Check out the full back catalogue of videos on